Sunday, September 25, 2016

The Sheikh's Baby Scandal & Q&A with author Carol Marinelli

1) Where did you gather inspiration for Zazinia?
I could just see it in my mind’s eye. I like desert settings and have written a few of them but each desert and palace appears differently to me. I wanted Zazinia to have an ancient and traditional feel, in contrast to the modern and glittering Dubai, where the book is also set.

2) How do you think the setting affects the story? 
The setting is vital. The Sheikh’s Baby Scandal takes place in London, Dubai and Zazinia. The location changes reveal more facets of both characters personalities. Kedah is a very rich playboy but all that has to change when he returns to Zazinia and he reveals a more formal side. Felicia is a very independent heroine. Instead of being taken out of her comfort zone in Zazinia, she comes into her stride. I really liked that about her.

3) Is anything in your new release based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?
My imagination is so vivid that I sometimes feel as if it’s real life but no, it’s all imagination. I am sadly lacking in royal sheikhs :)

4) How long on average does it take you to write a book?
It is very variable. I tend to work on two stories at the same time. Both are usually at different stages and I dip in and out of each. Near the end of writing a story though, I can only focus on one and so it gets my full attention then, until it’s complete. Generally, at that point, I get a new idea for a story and start to write it, while going back to the other story I left sitting. On average I think I work on a story for 3-4 months.

5) What is the biggest misconception about your genre?That they’re all the same. It would make my job a whole lot easier if they were J The wonderful thing about the romance genre is that there is something for everyone to enjoy—from sweeter romances to very sexy. Mine are the latter.

6) Did you hide any secrets in your books? 
No, I have heard some writers do but my muse is to disorganized for that.

7) Any tips to get through the dreaded writer’s block? Everyone handles it differently and what works through one rough patch might not work for the next. Going for a walk certainly helps me. I forget to, of course, or I tell myself I’m too busy and too behind to justify taking a couple of hours to walk. But I should remember, because it helps me a lot. I listen to a podcast or some music and then for the last half hour or so I take out my headphones and start to think about my plot.

8) How do you relax?By walking (as above), reading or writing. Sometimes writing can be stressful, but when the writing is flowing and I’m lost in the story it’s a very relaxing space to be in. I also love talking on the phone. I spend hours on it.

9) What is your favorite book and why?Bryce Courtenay’s, April Fool’s Day. It is a true story about the life of his deceased son. There are so many life-lessons within it and it is beautifully written. The book touches on many issues and Bryce did not paint himself with a perfect brush. It is honest and sad, wonderful and warm and it still makes me cry.

10) What is your current end-of-summer read? 
 I am extremely behind with my reading and am just about to dive into my TBR pile. At the top is Sarah Morgan’s Sunset in Central Park and I can’t wait to get started!

Title:  The Sheikh's Baby Scandal
Series:  One Night With Consequences
Author:  Carol Marinelli
Publication Date:  September 1st 2016 by Harlequin Presents
Length:  224pgs
Genre:  contemporary romance
Shelf:  review
My Rating: ★★★
Book Links: GoodreadsAmazon(US)Amazon(CA) - B&N - Kobo - Indigo - Google Play 

Back Cover Blurb:

Pregnant…by the playboy sheikh!
Playboy sheikh Kedah of Zazinia has loved every minute he's spent earning his outrageous reputation! But about to claim the throne, and with a list of prospective brides being prepared, Kedah knows he must soon accept his royal duty…

A scorching night with his poised assistant, Felicia Hamilton, seems the perfect distraction—and her cool beauty masks a desire Kedah is hungering to ignite! But even Kedah isn't prepared for the biggest scandal of all, when their one night together leaves Felicia pregnant with his baby!

My Review:

Romance and scandal abounds as readers get up close and personal with the ruling family of Zazinia.  Marinelli's world development and descriptions allow readers to picture this land and travel there alongside the characters.  The  plot had an air of formulaic construction yet the romance that develops between the characters is so real that it is an easy focal point.

The characters that we meet here are somewhat atypical to what I'd expected.  I enjoyed how they were developed and the way in which we get to know them.  Their story was easy to see and to follow.  They were a little too perfect of a fit at times, but also enjoyable to get to know.

As a whole, this was a fun, light read that I think would be great for a crisp fall afternoon curled up on the couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment